Translate This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Few Natural Hair Tips

I have been asked a lot in general from co-workers, family members, and even strangers about what hair products I use. Since the Big Chop (BC) on May 21, 2012, it honestly has been trial and error. What works for some won't work for others. I do not know what number my curl pattern is. Its very strange because I have some ringlets, soft curls, waves, straight pieces and more all kinda mixed in there. I can just tell you what I have used and what works for my hair.

CLEANSE WITHOUT THE LATHER

I love washing my hair. The soapier the cleaner right? Wrong! I was completely shocked that tradition shampoos actually do more harm than good. Traditional shampoos lather which actually strips your hair of natural oils and nutrients. I can remember that feeling too. It is suggested using a shampoo that is free of sulfates. Sulfates are what causes your shampoo to lather. The research that I have done explains that you don't have to shampoo as often as you think. Many people shampoo everyday to every other day. Try using conditioner instead and limit your shampooing to a few times a month. Now I don't shampoo often. I co-wash or conditioner wash every other day. I probably shampoo just once a month, typically the last Friday of every month.

RETAINING MOISTURE 101

This is the most important thing for any natural. MOISTURE! African American hair tends to be dryer than other cultures. For that reason we must add moisture to our hair. I have tried a lot of things. One thing that worked before was the LOC method or Liquid, Oil, Cream. Now that I am about 7 moths post BC, that doesn't work for me. Basically the LOC method is what use use after a co-wash or wash. The liquid (L) is water. The oil (O) is any type of oil that you like. Most naturals use olive oil or coconut oil. I use a oil moisture: Olive oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, and castor oil. For cream you can use a number of things, raw shea butter being one of the most common. Moisturize  as often as possible. Don't wait until your hair is bone dry to add moisture to to. Check out my post on my Natural Hair Must Haves.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HEALTHY HAIR JOURNEY!!!




1 comment:

Leave a comment